Financial Aid

Welcome to SCC Financial Aid!

The Financial Aid Office will communicate with you primarily by email. Please keep your email address current with Spokane Community College and check it frequently.

Federal Aid Availability for Study Abroad

Students who seek to enroll in study abroad programs which have been approved for credit by Spokane Community College may be eligible to receive federal student aid. Students should contact the financial aid office for more information.

Priority Funding Dates

The FAFSA and all requested documents must be received by the Financial Aid Office no later than the Priority Funding Date for each quarter. Students who submit documents after the Priority Funding Date should be prepared to pay their own tuition, books, and living expenses. If eligible, the student will receive financial aid funding retroactively to the start of the quarter.

Use the 2017-2018 FAFSA

Spring 2018 - February 9, 2018

Use the 2018-2019 FAFSA

Summer/Fall 2018 - April 13, 2018
Winter 2019 - October 19, 2018
Spring 2019 - February 8, 2019

Quick Links

Fill out a FAFSA
Complete Financial Aid Forms
Check Financial Aid Status

Federal School Code

How to Apply for Financial Aid

Apply early! Some federal and state aid programs, such as work study, have limited funds and those awards are based on an early application date as well as financial need.

Financial Aid Checklist

  • Create your FSA ID, if you do not already have one.
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The college code for SCC is 003793.
  • If you are not currently enrolled, apply for or reactivate your admission to SCC.
  • You will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) either by mail or email from FAFSA.
  • SCC will send you an email or letter requesting all SCC required documentation. There is always additional documentation required.
  • SCC will send you an award letter informing you of your eligibility for aid.
You can check your Student Center for the most current information available.

How Financial Aid is Awarded

Financial aid eligibility is regulated by federal and state law. These laws require that you complete the FAFSA application so the Department of Education may use the Federal Methodology and data to calculate your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) based on the information you have provided. The Federal Methodology takes into account such factors as income, assets, family size, and number in college. Most financial aid is based on need.

We will send you a request for documents still needed to complete your file either via email or mail. Documentation must be completed, signed, and returned to our office before the priority deadline dates so we can proceed with file review.

If you are eligible for grant (gift) aid, we award that automatically after all documentation has been received. If you are eligible a financial aid award letter will be sent via mail. If you are eligible only for student loans, we will send you a letter indicating this.

Scholarship and/or agency funding may impact the supplemental aid you are eligible to receive.

If you wish to obtain a student loan, you must complete the loan application as well as the Entrance Counseling Tutorial and Master Promissory Note before we can certify your loan. We cannot finalize your financial aid until your file is complete and you h

Financial Need

Financial need represents the difference between the cost of attendance and the Expected Family Contribution (EFC).

Cost of Attendance
- Expected Family Contribution
= Financial Need
Note: Students cannot receive aid in excess of the cost of attendance.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Why should I apply for financial aid?
Many people are not aware that they may be eligible for financial assistance. Eligibility for financial aid is regulated by federal and state law. These laws require that you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) before we can determine how much money you may be eligible to receive. It is worth your time to complete the process. Even if you are not eligible for grant aid (monies you generally do not need to repay), you will need to apply to be considered for a student loan.

How do I get my FSA ID to use for applying online and signing my Master Promissory Note if I take out a loan?
You may request a FSA ID at fsaid.ed.gov.

How is my aid determined?
Financial aid is based on need. Need is calculated by taking your annual cost of attendance and subtracting the amount you and/or your family are expected to pay to contribute to that cost . This Expected Family Contribution is listed on your Student Aid Report as your EFC. It is determined by the information you send in on your application. The higher the need, the more eligible you are for grant and other need based aid. If you are ineligible for need based aid, you will generally still be eligible for an unsubsidized student loan.

When will I find out if I get financial aid?
When your file is complete, we have professionally reviewed it, and you have applied for admission, we will send you notification called an Award Letter if you are eligible for financial aid. You do not have to wait to receive your Financial Aid Award Letter to register for classes. You can register on the appointment date that is assigned to you.

Do I have to enroll full-time to receive financial aid?
You do not have to be enrolled full-time (12 or more credits) to receive aid. However; if you enroll for 9-11 credits (3/4 time) you will receive 75% of your grant; if you enroll for 6-8 credits (1/2 time) you will receive 50% of your grant. Your student loan amount remains the same as long as you enroll and complete at least 6 credits. If you have a student loan and enroll for less than 6 credits, you will not be eligible for the loan portion of your financial aid. However, you may still be eligible able to receive a very small amount of grant aid.

Can I transfer my financial aid to another school?
Yes, but financial aid is not automatically transferable from one college to the next. Contact the school you are transferring to and find out about their application process. Request that the FAFSA processor release your information to the school. You will need your DRN number or a PIN number to do so. You may obtain these by contacting the Central Processor at 1-800-433-3243. If you are receiving a State Need Grant, ask our office to send that information to your new Washington college. You must notify our office, in writing, if you will not be returning before we can cancel your aid. You may not receive aid at both schools. You must complete the application process at the college or university you plan to attend. Remember, each school has different requirements, deadlines, budgets and spending levels. Funding that was available at one school may not be available at another.

Can I get help completing the application?
The Financial Aid staff is available during regular office hours to assist you if you have questions or need help completing the application. Please bring with you any financial documents (tax returns, 1099's, documentation of child support paid, etc.) that will help us assist you to complete the form accurately.

When do I have to apply?
In order to be considered for Work Study funding, you must generally apply by April 1. To guarantee that your financial aid is processed for fall of a given year, you must apply and have all forms that we sent you completed and turned in to the office by June 15.

Can I get a student loan?
You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) before we can assess your eligibility for a student loan. If you are a first-time borrower, you may be subject to a 30 day waiting period after the quarter starts before your receive your first loan disbursement. SCC participates in the Direct Loan program. For further information regarding a student loan please see studentloans.gov.

Are jobs available other than those through the financial aid work study program?
The college has some general fund positions on campus. You do not have to apply for financial aid to be considered for these jobs. In addition, there is a job board with current listing available for all students. Contact Student Success and Career Services located in Building 6 for more information.

How does the money that I receive for my education from special programs like: DVR, Jobs, JTPA, VA benefits, scholarships, Work Force Training, etc. affect my financial aid?
You must notify the Financial Aid office regarding any assistance that you receive from other sources. The money you receive is considered a resource toward your school and and living expenses. If the total amount of assistance that you receive is greater than your cost of attendance, we will adjust your financial aid accordingly.

Can I be considered for work study if it was not originally awarded?
If you requested but did not receive work study on your award letter, it was because either you were not eligible or all funds had been awarded to those students who applied earlier. However, if you are eligible, you can ask to be placed on the work study waiting list pending future work study availability.

How do I get information from my file?
To request any current or prior information from your file, you may come in person with a picture ID or request specific information in writing. SCC is not required to keep records longer than seven years. You may also obtain information by accessing the Student Self Service portal (ctcLink).

How can I get my parental financial information for the FAFSA if I am under 24, not married or a veteran, have no children and have had NO contact with my parents?
You may come into the Financial Aid Office and request an interview with a coordinator to determine whether or not you are a candidate with "unusual circumstances."

Location and Office Hours for Financial Aid and Work Study

The Financial Aid office is now located in Building 15 at the Center Island.

Fall-Spring Office Hours
Monday: 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Tuesday-Friday: 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM

Summer Office Hours
Monday-Thursday: 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Friday: 8:00 AM - noon

Mailing Address
Spokane Community College - Financial Aid
1810 N. Greene St. - MS 2152
Spokane, WA 99217-5399

(509) 533-7017 or 1-800-248-5644 ext. 7017
TTY: (509) 533-7482
Fax: (509) 533-7425