Skip to main content

Financial Aid 101

Are you ready to start or continue your college education? We can help you get there.

Regardless of your financial situation, there is money you can apply for that may cover your tuition and living expenses, allowing you to focus on your studies.


Federal Grants

Pell Grants

Federal Pell Grants are awarded to undergraduate students who display exceptional financial need and have not earned a bachelors, graduate or professional degree. To apply for a Pell Grant, students need to submit the FAFSA every year they are in school. For more information on the Pell Grants, visit the Federal Pell Grant site.

Please note that you can receive the Federal Pell Grant for no more than 12 terms/18 quarters, or the equivalent (roughly six years). You’ll receive a notice if you’re getting close to your limit. If you have any questions, contact the financial aid office.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants are awarded to undergraduate students who have exceptional financial need, who have not earned a bachelor’s or graduate degree, dependent on availability of funds. For more information on the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant visit the federal government's FSEOG page.

Both Resident and nonresident students may qualify for federal grants. As a rule, the Pell grant and FSEOG grant do not need to be repaid, except under certain circumstances. Find out why you might have to repay all or part of a federal grant.

State Grants

Washington College Grant

(Formerly the State Need Grant) Washington state residents are eligible for further assistance based on their financial need. Eligible students may receive an award up to the cost of tuition. Amounts vary based on income, family size, and the school or program attended.

To learn more about WCG eligibility and awards go to the Washington Student Achievement Council website.

College Bound Scholarship

Awarded in combination with other state financial aid to cover the average cost of tuition, and fees. The scholarship is available to students who sign up in the 7th or 8th grade and meet specific eligibility requirements. For College Bound Scholarship eligibility information, please visit the College Bound page on the Washington Student Achievement Council website.

Passport to Careers

The Passport to Careers program fosters youth in Washington state foster care, the federal unaccompanied refugee minors' program, tribal foster care, and unaccompanied homeless youth. Participants receive scholarships to make college more affordable. For more information on the program or eligibility requirements, visit our Passport to Careers page.


Student Loans

Student Loans

There are multiple types of direct loans for students. Here are the different loan options and how to get started with a student Federal Direct Loan.

For detailed federal loan information visit the federal government’s loan page.

Types of Federal Student Loans Available

All students as part of their financial aid package are offered Direct Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Loans based on eligibility. Federal Direct Loans are a type of financial aid that must be repaid after you graduate, withdraw, or fall below half-time status. Loans can be used to pay tuition, fees and other educational expenses.

  • Direct Subsidized Loans are based on financial need. The U.S. Department of Education pays the interest on a Direct Subsidized loan while you’re in school at least half time, for the first six months after you leave school (grace period), and during a period of deferment.

  • Direct Unsubsidized Loans are made to eligible undergraduate students, but eligibility is not based on financial need. Interest will accrue and you are responsible for paying the interest on a Direct Unsubsidized Loan during all periods.

  • Direct PLUS Loans are loans made to parents of dependent undergraduate students to help pay for education expenses not covered by other financial aid. Eligibility is not based on financial need, but a credit check is required. In order to qualify, your student must complete the FAFSA application.

Loan amounts are determined based on your cost of attendance and other aid you have been awarded.

Here are a few federal loan requirements.

  • You must be registered half-time, in at least six (6) credits to be eligible for loan funding.

  • Once loans are offered, you must log into your ctcLink account and accept, reduce, or decline the loan. The DOE requires that all first-time borrowers be subject to a 30-day delay in receiving their first disbursement of their loan. All one quarter only loans are also required by DOE to be disbursed in two disbursements with the second being mid-quarter.

  • Before you receive your loan funds you will be required to complete Entrance Counseling and a Loan Agreement (MPN).

  • Exit Counseling – Federal regulations require you to complete an Exit Counseling session upon leaving SCC, whether you graduate or withdraw from school. You will receive an email from SCC with instructions for completing Exit Counseling once you are no longer half-time, in at least six (6) credits.

Private Loans

A private loan is made by a private organization such as a bank, credit union, or state-based or state-affiliated organization, and has terms and conditions that are set by the lender. For more information on Private Loans visit our Private Lending for Higher Education page.

Work Study

Work Study

The Work Study Office, in conjunction with the Financial Aid Office, administers the SCC on-campus and off-campus work programs. Work Study employment is meant to be a productive experience for everyone involved: the student, the employer, and the institution as well as the community.

How do I get Work Study?

On your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), be sure to say yes on the option asking if you're interested in work study. Work study is awarded based on your FAFSA results, your financial aid budget, other awarded aid and the SCC financial aid packaging policy. If you are awarded work study, you will receive an award notification from the Financial Aid Office and an informational email from the Work Study Office. If you did not receive a work study award and would like to be placed on the waitlist, please read the information below.

Work Study Waitlist

If you were not awarded work study as part of your aid package and would like to be placed on the Work Study Please complete the online Work Study Wait List Information Sheet. If you need help or have any questions, please feel free to contact the Work Study Office at 509-533-7031.

Work Study Funds

Your work study paychecks will come as a regular paycheck. These funds cannot be used to pay tuition or fees directly. They must first be deposited into an account, then you can use your funds to pay in your student ctcLink account or at the Cashier’s Office.


Scholarship Resources

Scholarships are funds you do not repay. The money comes from local high schools, employers, and other private donors. Students can apply for as many scholarships as they qualify for.

SCC has many scholarship opportunities specifically designated for SCC students.

Most application deadlines are in late winter or early spring for the upcoming fall quarter.

Other Scholarship Links
WA State Opportunity

Specially Funded Programs

SCC participates in a few special programs such as WorkFirst and Opportunity Grant meant to increase access to higher education for certain marginalized groups.

Veterans Benefits

Are you a veteran? Are you looking for information or assistance with the GI Bill®? The SCC Veterans Services Office at SCC can help.