How Withdrawing From a Quarter Affects Financial Aid
Students who received (or who are eligible to receive) federal financial aid and who withdraw from all classes for the quarter are subject to a return of funds recalculation (called R2T4) of their awards based on the amount of aid earned. The R2T4 calculation is required to be performed within 30 days of the date the school determines a student has withdrawn. A separate calculation will be performed for state grant aid to determine if the student owes a repayment of state grants.
Unearned aid is calculated by dividing the number of days the student was enrolled by the number of days in the quarter. Any unearned funds will be returned by SCC to the appropriate federal aid program(s). This may result in the student owing a balance due to SCC.
The Financial Aid Office will email the student the R2T4 calculation results, showing what the school and the student are required to return to the federal program(s). A separate email will notify the student of a change in eligibility. The R2T4 and return of state aid calculations are required based on federal and state regulations and are not subject to appeal.
Post Withdrawal Disbursements
Occasionally, a student may have undisbursed aid they have earned. In these situations, the student will be notified within 30 days of the R2T4 calculation. If the student has current outstanding charges, the school may automatically apply the post withdrawal disbursement to unpaid charges per the student’s authorization granted on the Terms and Conditions form.
Where is My Refund?
Refunds for students who do not have financial aid will be issued according to SCC’s refund policy as stated on CCS’s refund page.
Students with federal aid might not receive a refund. Financial Aid will calculate unearned financial aid using federal and state formulas. Unearned financial aid will be returned to the federal program(s). Any tuition refund may be used to offset the amount the student owes to the school or to the federal or state program(s). If the refund exceeds what must be returned to the federal or state program(s), the remaining balance is refunded to the student.
When a student fails all classes (unofficial withdrawal)
If a student remains enrolled to the end of the quarter but ceases attending or fails to earn grades in any classes, the R2T4 calculation will be performed according to the instructors’ reported last dates of attendance to determine unearned aid that must be returned to the federal programs. Separate state return of funds calculations will be performed at this time to determine if the student owes a repayment of state grants.
Request an official withdrawal form from Bigfoot Central (the front desk) in Building 15, and return the completed form to Bigfoot Central staff. Alternately, you can withdraw through the ctcLink Student Center through the published last day to withdraw.
Sandy Smith received Title IV aid for the Summer Quarter. The following aid was disbursed to her prior to her withdrawal from all classes:
$1850 Pell Grant
$1075 Unsubsidized Loan
$1609 Subsidized Loan
There are 46 days in the quarter. Sandy withdrew on the second day of the quarter.
2 / 46 = 4.3% is the percentage of financial aid she earned by attending 2 days.
Aid received: $4534
Percent earned: 4.3%
$4534 x 4.3% = $194.96 (amount of financial aid Sandy earned for two days of attendance)
We are required to return the lesser of unearned tuition or unearned federal financial aid:
Unearned financial aid
Sandy was eligible to receive $194.96
$4534 (total aid received) – 194.96 (aid earned) = $4339.04 (amount of unearned aid)
Sandy’s tuition was $1151.48. She earned 4.3% of that, leaving 95.7% unearned.
$1151.48 (tuition) x 95.7% (percentage unearned) = 1101.97 (amount of unearned tuition)
The amount of unearned tuition is less than the amount of unearned aid, so the school returned $1102 (rounded up from $1101.97) to Sandy’s Unsubsidized student loan (Unsubsidized is always returned first)
We are required to determine the amount of unearned aid that must be returned by Sandy.
$4339.04 (unearned aid) - $1101.97 (unearned tuition) = 3237.07 (unearned aid not yet returned)
$2684 (disbursed from loans to Sandy) – 1101.97 (amount the school is returning) = $1582.03 (amount of loans Sandy must repay when student loans go into repayment)
$3237.07 (unearned aid) – 1582.03 (loan amount Sandy is responsible for) = $1655.04 (unearned aid remaining)
$1850 Pell Grant received x 50% grant protection = $925
$1655.04 (unearned aid remaining) - $925 (grant protection) = 730.04 (amount of Pell Grant for Sandy to return, rounded down to $730)