Skip to main content

In 2021, a new residency law made it easier for all Washingtonians, including undocumented people, to get resident tuition and state financial aid. To qualify, students must complete an affidavit declaring they have:

  • Earned a high school diploma, GED, or diploma equivalent before their first term at the college determining residency.
  • Maintained a primary residence in Washington for at least 12 consecutive months immediately before the first term.
  • Sign an affidavit saying they meet the above requirements and that one of the following is true:
    • They will file an application to become a permanent resident of the United States (green card) as soon as they are eligible to apply. And that they are willing to engage in activities designed to prepare them for citizenship, including citizenship or civics review courses or
    • They are a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. permanent resident.

There are two ways to submit the affidavit. Students should only file one based on the financial aid application they use:

  • Option 1: Individuals who applied/will apply for state financial aid using the Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA). WASFA-filers submitted/will submit the affidavit as part of the WASFA. The WASFA is for undocumented students, students who are not eligible for federal aid, and students who do not want to apply for federal aid.
  • Option 2: Individuals who applied/will apply for federal and state financial aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or who are not applying for aid. FAFSA-filers or people not applying for aid will submit a Residency Affidavit to or the SCC Admissions Office in Building 15.

Frequently Asked Questions