Skip to main content

Students from many regional tribes are eligible for in-state tuition

In 1994, the Washington state legislature passed a bill allowing American Indian students who meet the following two conditions to be eligible for in-state tuition at public colleges and universities in the state of Washington.

  • For a period of one year immediately prior to enrollment, the students must have been domiciled in one or a combination of the following states: Idaho, Montana, Oregon, or Washington.
  • Students must be a member of one of the federally recognized Indian tribes whose traditional and customary tribal boundaries included portions of the state of Washington, or whose tribe was granted reserved lands within the state of Washington. A full list of federally recognized tribes eligible for resident tuition in Washington State may be viewed on the Washington Student Achievement Council website.

For example, a Spokane tribal member who lives in Oregon, could attend SCC without having to pay out-of-state tuition because they are from a Washington tribe and live in Oregon. Likewise, a Coeur d’Alene tribal member from Idaho would also be eligible for in-state tuition because their tribe’s traditional boundaries included territory in Washington.

To establish residency using the American Indian Residency Bill, students should send proof of their tribal enrollment to the SCC Admissions Office in Building 15 or by email to In addition to email, you may also contact us with your residency questions at 509-533-7014.