The Spokane Community College Science Scholars program provides a full scholarship, academic support, and other developmental activities to students pursuing a science transfer degree (AA-DTA or AS-T) in the fields of biology, chemistry or geology at SCC. Admission to the program is competitive.
To qualify for the SCC Science Scholars program, students must:
Have financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form and SCC Financial Aid office. Financial need is defined as a Cost of Attendance (COA) that exceeds the Estimated Family Contribution (EFC). Students that do not meet this definition will not be accepted to the program.
Be enrolling at SCC with plans to complete a transfer degree (AA-DTA, AS-T, etc.) followed by a biology, chemistry or geology bachelor's degree. Other degrees -- including computer science, nursing, dental hygiene and pre-medicine — do not qualify for this program.
- Please note that this program is funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF), which requires applicants to be a citizen of the United States, a national of the United States (as defined in Section 101 (a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act), an alien admitted as refugee under Section 207 of the Immigration and Nationality Act, or an alien lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence.
To apply to the program:
- Review the eligibility requirements above. You must meet these three requirements to be admitted to the program. Contact ScienceScholars@scc.spokane.edu with eligibility questions.
- Write a personal statement explaining why you are a good candidate for the SCC Science Scholars program. Be sure to comment on your background and interests in science and your academic plans. You will enter this statement on the application.
- Obtain transcripts for any high school or college classes you have completed in the last five years.
- Recommended: Obtain a letter of recommendation from a high school or college science teacher or science professional who is familiar with your abilities. Your Application can be considered without a letter of recommendation but will be more competitive if you include one.
- Complete the application form. The application includes an upload area for transcripts and letters of recommendation. Letters of recommendation also can be emailed to ScienceScholars@scc.spokane.edu.
Spots are filling fast. The next priority deadline is Friday, June 11. Submit your application by then to increase your chances of acceptance to the SCC Science Scholars program.