Skip Navigation LinksSCC Home Page Admissions/Registration Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Your grades and attendance will affect your financial aid. You must maintain a quarterly 2.0 grade point average, register for classes required for your program and complete the credits for which you were awarded aid. If you stop attending, have a low GPA, fail to maintain a 67% pace of progression, repeatedly change your program, or drop classes, your financial aid may be canceled and/or you may need to repay the financial aid you received.

If you lose your financial aid (Suspension status), you may complete a petition to request reinstatement. You may petition a maximum of two times for reinstatement. Please note: You will need the free Adobe Reader to view and print the petition form.

Please read our Satisfactory Progress Policy for complete information.

The federal financial aid regulations changed July 1, 2011 and are effective for the fall 2011 quarter. These changes to the federal financial aid regulations are significant. Students who have qualified for aid in the past may no longer be eligible.

To be eligible for financial aid after July 1, 2011, you must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress toward your SCC degree or certificate. To make Satisfactory Academic Progress you now must:

  • Complete the credits required based on your enrollment level.
  • Earn a 2.00 GPA quarterly.
  • Earn a college level 2.00 GPA by the end of your sixth quarter of attendance at SCC.
  • Maintain a Pace of Progression toward your degree by completing 67% of all attempted credits.
    The Pace of Progression is calculated using the following formula:
    Pace of Progression = Credits Completed / All Credits Attempted
    NOTE: All attempted credits are evaluated, including those with "I," "W," "Z," or 0.0 grades.
  • Complete your degree or certificate within the maximum timeframe listed on the SCC website. The Maximum Timeframe = 125% of the credits required for graduation from your program.

If you fail to meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements and have extenuating circumstances, such as death in the family, illness, or other major life challenges, you may submit a Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Petition. Since the petition is for extenuating circumstances, you can submit a maximum of two petitions.

The changes to the federal financial aid regulations are intended to encourage student success. You will need to complete the courses in which you enroll in order to continue receiving financial aid. If you are struggling in your classes, it will be critical for you to seek help from your instructor, from a counselor, or from a tutor.

R3-Establish Eligibility by Paying For Classes at Your Own Expense

If you are not eligible for aid and are ineligible to petition, have had your petition denied, or do not want to petition, you may attend at your own expense to re-establish your eligibility. You must attend at least 10 credits, complete all attempted credits with a 2.0+ in each class, complete a degree plan with your academic counselor, and bring that degree plan to financial aid by the fifth day of the quarter. At that time, financial aid staff will determine what is required to re-establish your eligibility, as it varies by student exactly what is required to meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements.