Address Changes

Update your address online using ctcLink. To change your address in person, visit the Registration Island in Building 15. It is your responsibility to maintain current and accurate street and email address information at the college. All addresses listed on your FAFSA will be overridden with the address in the registration system, so make sure your address is always up-to-date.

Name Change

We cannot award Financial Aid if your current legal name is inaccurate or conflicting with the Department of Education, Admissions, or our office. If there is a conflict, name change, or update, you must submit documentation of the name change to both Financial Aid and Admissions verifying your legal name.

Documentation Needed: You must bring in your social security card or a receipt from the Social Security Administration under the new name and picture ID. The Financial Aid office cannot accept court-ordered name changes or marriage certificates as legal documentation.
  • Grants, loans and work study earnings must be used for educational costs such as: tuition, books, transportation and living expenses.
  • You must make satisfactory academic progress in order to continue to be eligible for student financial aid.
  • You must learn your responsibilities as a student (below).
  • You must become familiar with institutional policies on satisfactory progress, refunds/repayments, withdrawals, telecourses, Internet classes and auditing classes.

Student Responsibilities

When you accept your student financial aid, you accept the following responsibilities:

  1. You must be enrolled in an eligible program of study that leads to a degree or certificate. A student's enrollment in any INELIGIBLE program, ungraded or noncredit course, will not count towards financial aid enrollment.
  2. You must maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) to continue to receive financial assistance. Read the Financial Aid Satisfactory Progress Policy carefully. Students must familiarize themselves with institutional policies relative to financial aid, including: the appeals process, official and unofficial withdrawals, and repayments of grant aid.
  3. You must reapply and re-establish your eligibility annually. Financial aid is awarded for the traditional academic year. Applications are available after January 1st for the coming academic year.
  4. You must have demonstrated an ability to benefit to receive aid and must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.

Financial Aid Offers

  • An offer of financial aid is based on the availability of funds and whether you have met the priority Financial Aid Deadline date. If funds are insufficient to meet the needs of all eligible aid applicants, this college reserves the right to reduce any financial aid award. We reserve the right to make any modifications that we deem necessary at any time.
  • Initially based on full time enrollment defined as 12 credit hours per quarter (this includes summer quarter also). If you enroll as a three quarter time student (9 through 11 credits) or as a half time student (6 through 8 credits), you will receive a prorated financial aid award. Loans are not pro-rated, however you must be enrolled in at least 6 credits. Pell Grant funding may be available at less than half time enrollment.
  • Divided between three quarters of attendance unless otherwise specified.

Enrollment Level

Payment of financial aid is based in part on the number of credits for which you are enrolled. If you do not attend all classes after release of your financial aid funds, your financial aid award will be recalculated at the lower enrollment level. After the recalculation, you will be required to repay the amount of financial aid that you were not entitled to receive. After the fifth day of the quarter, your Pell Grant and/or State Need Grant cannot be increased if you add credits. If you drop classes after the fifth day of the quarter you will be subject to the Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Policy. (See the policy for detailed information.)

Students with Disabilities

At SCC, we strive to make quality education accessible to all students. We offer help and accommodations to any student both in the classroom and during the application process.

If you need help completing the financial aid application because of a disability, you may:

  • come in to our office in Building 15,
  • call (509) 533-7169 (voice), or
  • call (509) 533-8610 (TTY assistance).

Please access the Center for Students with Disabilities website for further information.

General Information Links

Best all-around site www.finaid.org Excellent information by category
General information www.ed.gov/finaid/landing.jhtml U.S. Department of Education
FAFSA on the Web www.fafsa.ed.gov  
FAFSA PIN online www.pin.ed.gov  
Higher One https://mybigfootcard.higheroneaccount.com/ , www.higheronecard.com/  
Student guide www.ed.gov/prog_info/SFA/StudentGuide  
Latest information www.ed.gov/offices/OPE/students  
NAFSAA www.nasfaa.org General information and links to other sites
  www.irs.treas.gov Hope tax credit and general tax information
Loan information www.dlservicer.ed.gov Personal loan account information
  www.nela.net Northwest Education Loan Association
  www.salliemae.com Loan services
  pin.ed.gov For PIN #
  www.studentloans.gov Entrance counseling tutorial and
Master Promissory Note
Washington State sites www.wa.gov/wtb Workforce training
  www.wfaa.org Washington Financial Aid Association
  www.wsac.wa.gov Washington State Achievement Council
Scholarships www.fastweb.com
  www.scholarshiphelp.org ;

American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Tax Credits

There are various credits you may be able to claim on your taxes if you, your spouse, or a dependent claimed on your tax return was enrolled at Spokane Community College in 2010. The credits vary, and it is best to consult the IRS or your tax advisor for specific questions.

To obtain your 1098-T information, please visit the SCC Online Student Information system.

American Opportunity Tax Credit

The American Opportunity credit originally modified the existing Hope credit for tax years 2009 and 2010, and was later extended for an additional two years - 2011 and 2012, making the benefit available to a broader range of taxpayers, including many with higher incomes and those who owe no tax. It also adds required course materials to the list of qualifying expenses and allows the credit to be claimed for four post-secondary education years instead of two. Many of those eligible qualify for the maximum annual credit of $2,500 per student.

The Lifetime Learning Tax Credit

The Lifetime Learning credit helps parents and students pay for post-secondary education. For the tax year, you may be able to claim a Lifetime Learning credit of up to $2,000 for qualified education expenses paid for all students enrolled in eligible educational institutions. There is no limit on the number of years the Lifetime Learning credit can be claimed for each student. However, a taxpayer cannot claim both the Hope or American Opportunity credit and Lifetime Learning credits for the same student in one year. Thus, the Lifetime Learning credit may be particularly helpful to graduate students, students who are only taking one course, and those who are not pursuing a degree

For more information please visit the following websites: