Transfer Counseling

Becki Meehan
Lara Ramsay
WSU Spokane: Becki Meehan
(509) 358-7630
WSU Pullman:
Lara Ramsay
(509) 981-3235
Visit to join our mailing list.

School FA Code: 003800
Stan Pichinevskiy
Admissions Advisor
304 Sutton Hall
Cheney, WA 99004-2455
Phone: (509) 359-4651 - Fax: (509) 359-6692

School FA Code: 003775
Joan Sarles
Joan Sarles
(509) 313-6571

School FA Code: 003778
CJ Perry
Whitworth University Transfer Counselor
(509) 777-4768
Richard Miller
Academic Advisor
(509) 777-3222
School FA Code: 003804
Carlos Williams
Assistant Director - Transfer Review & Outreach
Office of Admissions, Box 355852
1410 NE Campus Parkway
Univ. of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-5852
Phone: (206) 221-5416 - Fax: (206) 685-3655

School FA Code: 003798
Bruce Simpson
Bruce Simpson
(509) 963-2462

School FA Code: 003771
Meagan Daniels
Meagan Daniels
Community College Relations
(360) 867-6495

School FA Code: 008155
Contact information coming soon...

School FA Code: 003802
LC-CDA Campus:
Rebekah Pichotta
(208) 292-2685
Lewiston Campus:
Soo Lee Bruce-Smith

(208) 792-2378, (800) 993-5272 (ext. 2378)

School FA Code: 001621
Cassie Thiessen (
Univ. of Idaho, New Student Svcs.
P.O. Box 444253 Moscow, ID 83844-4253
Phone: (208) 885-6163; Toll-free: 1-88-88-UIDAHO

Melissa Garrett (
Univ. of Idaho, Coeur d'Alene
1031 N. Academic Way, Suite 242
Coeur d' Alene, ID 83814-2277
Phone: (208) 292-2524

School FA Code: 001626
BSU Admissions Services
A-209 ASB
Provo, UT 84602

School FA Code: 003670
Terri Morford
(801) 924-4656

School FA Code: 003670

Four-Year College Advisors' Schedule
Find out which four-year college advisors are visiting SCC and when!
To schedule an appointment with a four-year advisor, please call (509) 533-8215 (toll-free 1-800-248-5644, extension 8215) or stop by the Transfer Center in Building 1, Room 1220J (online signup coming soon).
Transfer Research

Transfer Success....

Community and technical colleges play a critical role in Washington State's baccalaureate production...

The Role of Transfer in the Attainment of Bachelor's Degrees....

Research of the role Community and Technical Colleges played in the education of WA baccalaureate graduates in 2006.

(photo) Apply to EWU Day. Laura, Seth and Rick help our students make the next steps.
(photo) Addison, a transfer student, works with Grace to plan her move to Gonzaga
(photo) Apply to EWU Day. Laura, Seth and Rick help our students make the next steps.
(photo) Rachel from LCSC works with a student in the Transfer Center.
(photo) Apply to EWU Day. Laura, Seth and Rick help our students make the next steps.
(photo) Transfer Center Counselors help you make a smooth transition to the 4-years

"I look forward to the days I get to visit the transfer center. The transfer advisors are always so welcoming and friendly. They are supportive of my university, ask questions and refer students to me. I appreciate their hard work in advising students with current information and ensuring that each student has the proper tools needed to transfer successfully."

– Kim Mickey, Washington State University.

"The Transfer Advising Center at Spokane Community College should be the model for all transfer advising done at community and technical colleges in Washington State. It's a one-stop location for SCC students to get the guidance they need to pursue their degree and career goals."

– Joan Sarles, Gonzaga University

"SCC's students are coming to Whitworth as well informed, knowledgeable transfer students. The Major Ready Programs are equipping students with the plan they need to be not only a Junior in the number of credits earned but a true Junior in their chosen baccalaureate majors as well!"

– Celeste Lewis, Whitworth University

"I love working with SCC. The transfer center is so great about giving students the right information and connecting them to the right UI contacts. UI welcomes students from SCC. They are prepared and on target to start at UI."

– Melissa Garrett, University of Idaho

"It's (SCC transfer center) just a great environment to work in and I can tell that each transfer counselor genuinely cares about the success of their students. I also appreciate the transfer fairs they host each year that allow us to reach out to more students at SCC."

– Kim Mickey, Washington State University.

"Lewis-Clark State College values its partnership with Spokane Community College. The Transfer Center provides comprehensive services and resources to help its students find the right four year institution. LCSC is privileged to partner with the Transfer Center in this quest."

– Soo Lee Bruce-Smith, Lewis Clark State College.

"I have worked with other counselors and advisors at community colleges across the state and feel that the transfer advisors at SCC are by far the best that I have had the luxury of working with. I feel that they communicate with us, seek out the correct information so their students are advised correctly and welcome us into the transfer center. "

– Kim Mickey, Washington State University.

"I believe the transfer center is very effective in assisting SCC students and helping them understand their options when it comes to four year schools. Having counselors at SCC that know our programs and connect their students with me is key in making a smooth transfer to Whitworth."

– Celeste Lewis, Whitworth University

"(SCC)Students participate in their own degree planning, which is one of the main factors in ultimately achieving it. Students are also encouraged to meet with admissions representatives from the senior colleges who regularly visit the Transfer Advising Center, which allows us to help students fine tune their transfer into our college. This seemingly simple step makes a huge difference in students' successful transfer!"

– Joan Sarles, Gonzaga University

"Most students who transfer with a DTA find the transition is seamless and need not worry about what courses transfer as they receive credit for their transfer degree. I find that the transfer advisors are very well versed and knowledgeable of our requirements and advise SCC students accordingly."

– Kim Mickey, Washington State University.

"Working with the transfer counselors at SCC has been a great learning experience for me. Grace, Cathy and Gretchen are always ready to answer my questions! I consider my time working with your students and assisting them in reaching their goals at Whitworth to be an honor."

– Celeste Lewis, Whitworth University

"As determined through individual meetings and advising sessions with SCC students, I have found that SCC students are very knowledgeable of their desired transfer plan. They receive excellent, and accurate guidance from the transfer advisors and usually have a solid plan in place to transfer."

– Kim Mickey, Washington State University.


Thanks for taking charge of your transfer planning!

As the Transfer Center director, it's my job to make sure our transfer degrees are accepted at four-year universities across the state. I stay in constant contact with the universities by serving on important committees that keep SCC on the forefront of educational planning.

In addition, I work hard to make sure we deliver excellent service, making your transition to the next place a smooth one.

Personal Philosophy

I believe in the personal and professional opportunities education offers, and I care about the students with whom I work. I also believe that each individual deserves to be treated with respect and dignity.

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with the simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." ~Laura Ingalls Wilder

Educational Philosophy

I believe there are different levels of educational needs. Since all students do not learn in the same manner or have the same aptitudes or goals, it is vital to provide a nurturing, stimulating environment that allows each individual the opportunity to achieve his/her potential. I also believe that by working together in this manner (within a nurturing and stimulating environment) we can provide positive educational experiences for the diverse population of students which we serve.

Education/Professional Experience

  • Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology, Gonzaga University (1988)
  • Bachelor of Arts, Whitworth College (1986)
  • Associate of Arts, Spokane Community College (1981)
  • Washington State Licensed Mental Health Counselor
  • Counselor at Spokane Community College 1988-present.Director/Transfer Center and Liaison Counselor for Arts and Sciences Division
  • Academic/vocational program advising, career counseling, personal problem solving, and crisis intervention

Counseling Style

If you choose to see me, you'll find that I have a student-centered, supportive, problem solving approach.

I believe it is important for me:

  • to provide service within an atmosphere of respect and compassion
  • to provide accurate information and resources
  • to encourage and facilitate personal and professional growth
  • to refer you to an outside agency when appropriate

I believe it is important for you:

  • to take responsibility for your choices, actions and goals
  • to follow through with assignments
  • to take advantage of the opportunities and resources available
  • to take your education seriously


Please call (509) 533-7026 to schedule an appointment with me or one of my colleagues.


Note: There is no longer a centralized Counseling Center.

(A) Transfer Center Counselors and General AA/AS-T
Building 1, 2nd Floor, Room 1220J (533-8215)
Cathy Shaffer
Gretchen Ford
(B) Multicultural Center Counselor
Building 6, Room 115C
Ruth Silverthorne
(C) Health Science Counselors
Building 9, Room 134A
Georgeanna Conrad  
[annualized counselor]
(D) Business Division Counselor, Mental Health Supervisor
Building 7, Room 135
Carmen Green
(E) Prof. Tech., Business, Env. Sci. Counselors, and Transfer*
Building 15, Room 120
Ric Villalobos
Rebecca Goss
*Bill Rambo

» Building 1 Detail

How do I start school?

Complete the Application for Admission. You may

  • Submit it online
  • Mail it to:
    SCC Admissions,
    1810 North Greene St., MS 2151
    Spokane, WA 99217
  • Drop it off on campus at the Admissions Office in Building 15.
    (If you don't know where this is, find it on the Campus Map)
  • Running Start students should consult with their high school
    counselor prior to applying for admission and the Running Start Program.

Is there a fee to apply?

If you have never applied or attended credit classes at SCC or SFCC, there is a nonrefundable application fee. If you have previously applied and paid the fee or attended classes at either SCC or SFCC and completed one quarter, there is no fee. It is important that you apply at the college you wish to attend. (If you have attended SFCC, although there is no fee, you still need to apply at SCC.)

Is there an application deadline?

Apply early. Information about admission application deadlines is available at our website.

Running Start applications for the following quarters are processed during the indicated periods:

  • Fall Quarter: December 1st through May 15th
  • Winter Quarter: October 15th through November 22nd
  • Spring Quarter: October 15th through February 14th

What if I attended SCC in the past and want to return?

You need to submit a new application including any changes to your personal information. There is no fee since you are a returning student.

When and how do I get my Student Identification Number?

When you apply for admissions, you will be given a nine digit Student ID number. It is not your Social Security Number, although you must submit that number on your application.

If you attended SCC or SFCC in the past, you already have a Student ID number. It is important to indicate if you have previously attended on the application, so your information can be cross-referenced.

How do I get my Personal Identification Number (PIN) in order to access my information and/or register online?

Your PIN is assigned automatically upon application for admission and you are notified by mail. If you need to obtain this information, you may do so with any student services staff. You will be asked to verify you identity by showing a picture ID.

Spokane Community College's policy and procedure regarding students obtaining their Student Identification (SID) number or Personal Identification Number (PIN) has changed. Effective April 4, 2005, SIDs and PINs are no longer obtainable on the Web. You may view the updated Web site reflecting the changes on our website.


Running Start students follow the same processes for admission as all college students, with a few exceptions.
Please refer to the appropriate procedures for getting started with your enrollment. The following questions refer to those procedures that are specific to Running Start students:

How do I know if I have met the eligibility requirements?

All students who apply for the Running Start program must be tested for eligibility by taking the placement test. Testing fees will be paid by the student. Admission is based on the student meeting the college-level cut-off scores. You are eligible for college-level classes if you score an 81 on the Reading section and a 73 on the Writing section of the COMPASS test. Your mathematics test will determine your eligibility for college-level mathematics classes. After completing the placement test, you will be contacted in writing to inform you of your acceptance into the Running Start program.

How many classes may I take?

Running Start students are limited to enrolling in 18 credits per quarter. Academic classes are typically five credits each.

How do the classes meet my high school graduation requirements?

Your high school counselor will assist you in determining how the classes meet your high school graduation requirements. Ask for a course equivalency guide the next time you speak with your counselor.

How do I get the correct forms?

Go to:

When may I register for classes?

You may register for classes online or in person with a counselor (Building 15) after you have:

  • Submitted an Application for Admission by the appropriate deadline
  • Taken your placement test and qualified for college-level classes
  • Provided SCC with a copy of your High School Course Recommendation Form
  • Have a Registration Access Time (you will receive this information in the mail or you can access it online.)

What fees are Running Start students required to pay?

Follow this link for current running start fees.

May I participate in athletics?

Running Start students are eligible for support services, activities and programs available to regular college students, with the exception of athletic participation. If the student is under 18 years of age, a special release form must be signed by the parent or guardian in order to participate in certain activities.

What are the regulations governing confidentiality of student's records, and what rights do parents have to those records?

Running Start students have the same rights and responsibilities as other college students. Student information is confidential and may be released to a parent if a student gives permission by completing a release form. There is one exception to parental access without student consent and that involves the cases in which a parent claims the student as a dependent for income tax purposes. The parent must supply the college with proof that the student is listed as a dependent on the parent's federal income tax return.

Do I need to take an assessment test?

YES, if:

  • You have never attended college
  • You have not taken the ASSET or COMPASS test within the last three years
There is a fee to take the assessment test.

NO, if:

  • You have already completed English 101 and Math 99 or their equivalents with a 2.0 or higher within the last three years
  • You have taken the ASSET or COMPASS test in the last 3 years at SCC or another college
  • You have completed an academic degree

How do I sign up for the assessment test?

If you have submitted your Application for Admission and been assigned a Student ID number, please go to the SCC Testing homepage for information on scheduling your test and a study guide to help you prepare.

How do I prepare for the assessment test?

You may access a COMPASS study guide at The study guide shows sample questions and answers for each of the Reading, English, and Math sections.

The SCC mathematics department recommends that transfer and Running Start students take ALEKS for mathematics placement. You can access study materials for ALEKS at

How do I know which section of math to take on the COMPASS or ALEKS test?

Since there are four Math tests to choose from (Pre-Algebra, Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry) on the COMPASS, take the Math that most appropriately reflects your skill level.

The SCC mathematics department recommends that transfer and Running Start students take ALEKS for mathematics placement which has four similar mathematics levels.

On the day you test, you will let the testing proctor know which Math test you would like to take.

What if I have attended another college?

If you have attended a college other than SCC, including SFCC, you will need to complete a Transcript Request form. Most colleges require a fee to send transcripts. (There is no fee to request transcripts between SCC and SFCC.) If you do not plan to use the credits from your former college, you are not required to request the transcripts. Upon request, a counselor will evaluate your credits toward your degree. Please make sure your transcripts are on file with SCC, and then make an appointment with your counselor. (If you have an unofficial copy, a preliminary evaluation can be done.)

How will I know if SCC has received my transcripts?

Contact the Transcript Department by phone at 509.533.7004.

Will a counselor evaluate my transcripts?

Yes, upon your request, your counselor will evaluate your transcripts. If you are pursuing an Associate of Arts (AA) degree, an AA Degree Worksheet is available online. The transcript department will also evaluate your transcripts for prerequisite purposes. At the time of this evaluation you will be notified by mail that the transcript office has received and evaluated your official transcript. For a complete educational plan, see your counselor.

How are classes from other colleges and universities applied to my AA degree at SCC?

Your classes will be evaluated by your counselor and a substitution form will be completed by you and the counselor and sent to the appropriate Dean for approval. It will then be sent to the transcript department and a copy will be placed in your file.

What do I need to know about financial aid?

The Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions Web site answers all your questions, including "How, When, and How Often do I apply", what is an “Attendance Declaration" form, and much more.

Can Running Start students get financial aid?

Running Start students do not qualify for federal and state aid. Their tuition is being paid by the state of Washington. However, if a Running Start student has qualified for free and reduced lunch in the last five years through their high school district, they may have the mandatory fees that are not covered under the Running Start program waived. The student is required to provide the college with official documentation to obtain this waiver.

Do I have to meet with a counselor prior to registering?

It is recommended that you meet with your counselor prior to registering to insure you understand your placement test scores, any prerequisites, or how your prior credits transfer into your degree.

How do I register for classes?

After you have applied, and tested or had your transcripts evaluated (if appropriate) you will receive a registration access time (RAT). This will allow you to register online, through Schedule Planner, for your classes. It is advised to meet with your counselor prior to your registration access time to insure you understand your COMPASS or ALEKS test scores, any prerequisites, or how your prior credits transfer into your degree.

What is Schedule Planner?

The Schedule Planner is the online quarterly schedule of classes offered at SCC. Only classes that are currently available appear on schedule planner. (Those classes that are not offered or are currently filled will not appear.)

How do I add my name to a waitlisted class?

Some of the classes at SCC are in high demand. For this reason, students can put their names on a waitlist for seats that become available during the registration process.

Go to Waiting List Information to find answers about waitlisted classes.

May I register online for classes prior to getting a Registration Access Time (RAT)?

Online registration requires that you have a RAT in order to register online.

May I add or drop a class online?

You may change your schedule through Schedule Planner or Online Registration up through the first day of each quarter. After the first day of each quarter, a Registration Transaction Form is required in order to change your schedule. This form is processed at the Registration window in Building 15.

May I withdraw from all of my classes (total withdrawal) online?

You may withdraw from all of your classes using Online Registration through the first day of each quarter. After the first day of each quarter, an Official Withdrawal Form must be filled out in order to drop all of your classes. This is processed at the Registration window in Building 15.

When would I use a late registration form?

Each quarter, there is a specific date that designates the last day to add or drop a class without the dean's signature. After this date, complete the late registration section of a Registration Transaction Form. Those dates are posted in Counseling and Admission/Registration offices.

Is it ever too late to drop a class or totally withdraw?

Each quarter, a specific date designates the last day to drop or completely withdraw from classes. After that date, you may not drop or withdraw without special permission from the Dean or Vice President of Student and Instructional Services.

When I finish all of my required classes, will I automatically receive my degree?

In order to receive your degree, you must fill out a Petition to Graduate Form. This form signals the transcript department to evaluate your classes toward your degree. There is no fee for the request. You are encouraged to meet with your counselor prior to petitioning for graduation.

I signed and returned my letter of intent to participate on a CCS athletic team. Does that mean the school knows I'm coming?

Athletics knows you're coming, but you still need to complete a college application to the campus you'll be attending, either Spokane Falls Community College ( or Spokane Community College ( Follow the regular admission and registration steps explained in the FAQs, which include applying, filing for financial aid, taking the ASSET placement test and registering for class.

What if I want to attend both Spokane Falls Community College and Spokane Community College?

You may attend both schools as long as you have a separate application submitted to each campus. However, students find it more convenient to attend one campus and work with the same staff and faculty while they work on their degree.

My athletic scholarship doesn't cover the cost of my education. How can I pay for school?

When you apply to school, you should also complete a FAFSA (free application for federal student aid) online at If you're looking for a loan, work-study or grant funding, this is how your eligibility for aid will be determined. It takes about 4 to 6 weeks to process, so do this right away. Our federal code is 003793.

How do I balance my athletic and academic commitments?

Research shows that students who participate in activities like sports actually manage their time better than students who just attend classes. If you need help with time management, see a counselor, take a time management or study skills class, or ask for help from the Liberal Arts Tutoring Center.

How do I deal with class absences due to my sports schedule?

The key is to communicate with your teachers ahead of time and share your travel schedule with them. Most instructors support the fact that you're representing the school in a positive way. Remember though, with visibility comes higher expectations, so go to class every time you are not on the road. Ask a classmate to share their notes for the times you are competing and make appointments with the instructor during their office hours if you have any questions or concerns.

Will I graduate on time with an AA transfer degree if I take the minimum number of credits to be eligible?

Although the NCAA requires that you enroll in only 12 credits each quarter to compete, you should take at least 15 credits each quarter if you want to finish your 90-credit AA transfer degree in six quarters. It's competitive to get into the four-years as a transfer student, so aim for at least a 2.8 GPA to be admitted after your AA degree.

What happens if I get picked up to play somewhere else after one season-can I take my credits with me?

If you transfer to another school without completing your AA transfer degree, each class will be evaluated individually and you may lose some credits in the process, especially if you taken a lot of PE/health credits. Any transferable class above 100 level approved by the ICRC will count toward some part of the general education requirements at a college or university in the state, but they may not count in the same category as our school. It's best to avoid most CIS, AOS, MMGT, GBUS or classes from a professional-technical program.

How do I make sure I'm taking the right classes?

Transfer specialists are here to work with you to make sure your education plan is on track. We are happy to help you plan your future.

A W-course may be any class - other than composition - in any discipline which meets the following criteria:

  • The process of writing usually takes place over an extended period of time outside of class, with students being given an opportunity to improve their writing, for example, by revising a major paper for subsequent evaluation or by writing several similar papers.
  • The guidelines for writing assignments are presented to the students in written form and clearly explain the objectives of the assignment, the requirements for the content of the final text, the grading criteria, and the submission deadlines. Paper topics are discussed in class in order to clarify the assignment and to encourage the development of ideas.
  • The writing assignments provide a major demonstration of the student learning in the course.
  • Instructors should expect students to apply the rules of standard English usage and basic composition strategies.
  • The students' evaluated writing should be a large factor in determining the final course grade; that is, more than 50% of the course grade should be derived from writing assignments. Assignments might take any of the following forms (which yield approximately 9 to 15 pages of student-produced text):
    • four similar short papers 2 to 3 pages each, or,
    • three 3-page papers, revised into one final paper at the end of the quarter, or
    • two 5-page papers, each evaluated by the instructor, revised by the student, and then resubmitted, or,
    • one 10 to 15 page paper, evaluated by the instructor and resubmitted, or,
    • in-class writing or take-home examinations in combination with a portion of any of above options.
  • Public writing is evaluated by its audience. Thus, the writing in W-courses excludes most journals except when (1) the journal provides prewriting to be reviewed and revised for the completion of a more formal assignment, or (2) the journal records notes from research, class lectures and/or discussion, and assigned readings which are then used for completion of a revised piece of writing.
  • When instructors choose to teach W-courses, it is their responsibility to read and evaluate the writing. Class size must be small enough to allow intense instructor involvement with the students' writing.
Art 112 Non-Western Art
English 247 American Multicultural Literature
English 271 World Literature to 1650
English 272 World Literature since 1650
English 278 Women Writers
French 201-203 Intermediate French
German 201-203 Intermediate German
Japanese 201-203 Intermediate Japanese
Spanish 201-203 Intermediate Spanish
History 141 History of China
History 142 History of Japan
History 230 Latin American History
Humanities 107 Introduction to Cultural Studies
Humanities 224 Contemporary Global Cinema
Humanities 225 Independent Film
Humanities 241 The Impact of the Nazi Past
Music 104 History of Jazz
Music 109 World Music
Political Science 125 Introduction to Global Issues
Political Science 203 Islam and the West
Sociology 175 Sociology of Gender
Sociology 221 Race and Ethnic Relations
Speech 220 Intercultural Communication

SCC and CCS recognize diversity, global engagement, and social responsibility as compelling educational and institutional priorities. We strive to foster students' understanding of the intersection between domestic and global issues and their sense of responsibility as local and global citizens.

Students admitted Fall Quarter 2003 and later who are pursuing an A.A. degree are required to take at least 5 credits in global/diversity courses. These courses can be identified in the quarterly class schedule by a ^D following the course title.

To assist your schedule planning, a list of qualifying courses is included. Additional courses will be added as they become available.

Students planning to earn an A.A. degree must meet minimum standards of preparation. Those whose records and test scores indicate a need for additional preparation may be required to complete preliminary work in the college preparatory program. SCC offers A.A. degree transfer courses for many pre-majors. For assistance, contact the SCC Transfer Center at (509) 533-7026.

A candidate for an Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree must complete 90 quarter hours in academic courses numbered 100 and above with a cumulative grade-point average of at least 2.0 including the following distribution. A minimum of 65 credit hours in courses numbered 100 or above must be chosen from the following specific categories:

Communication 10 credits
Quantitative Skills 5 credits
Humanities 15 credits
Social Sciences 15 credits
Mathematics/Science 15 credits
Health-related, Physical Education, and Recreational/Leisure Activities 5 credits
Approved Academic Electives 25 credits

At least 30 credit hours must be earned from Spokane Community College. All prior college-level credits and grade points are transferred for calculating total credits and GPA. For more information, please refer to the A.A. Degree Worksheet, see the SCC Catalog, or contact the SCC Transfer Center at (509) 533-7026.